Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Shvitzin' with Blitzen



One of your friends at CharmedCity (Shalom! My name is Lauren) is of a tribe that doesn't technically celebrate Christmas. This is quite the conundrum for me, considering that good ol' Navidad is one of my favorite holidays. I love the lights, the cheesy movies, and even those horrible sweaters that have more components than an Ikea shelf. No offense to my people, but your nine headed sconce doesn't really hold a candle (horrible pun intended) to 30 days of commercialized anticipation and constant visual reminders that SANTA IS COMING! So, forgive me for my sins, but there is no way in Heat Miser Hell that I am going to sit this one out. Now, before the disapproving eye rolls come in, I am here to assure you that I have not completely turned my back on my fellow chosen ones. Any Jew worth their weight in gelt, knows that Christmas is a day of movie theatres, and Chinese food. As I will be celebrating in Virginia on the 25th (that's right Ya'll, I'm gettin' real gentile this year) I had my customary Pan-Asian cuisine a bit early. In an effort to gain back some brownie points, I opted for a homemade version rather than the corn starch laden goop that we've all grown accustomed to. This way, when you proclaim ''L'chaim'' after your first bite, there is little to no irony involved.

Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry 
Recipe after the jump
 Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry

1 lb flank steak, cut into 2 inch strips
1 head broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup spring onions, white and green parts
3 cloves garlic
Any other veggies that you like
4 tbs wok oil
2 tbs soy sauce (more or less depending on taste)
1 tbs Siracha (more or less depending on your heat tolerance)

In a wok, or large rounded pan, heat wok oil over medium heat. Add broccoli and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add spring onions and garlic, stir to incorporate. Add mushrooms, soy sauce, and Siracha. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes. Add steak and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes depending on preference. Finish with an extra drizzle of soy sauce and Siracha. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...