Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I Only Date Fun Guys


Growing up, Campbell's condensed soups were my go to after school snack. Adding that can full of water to the congealed cylinder in the pot, truly made me feel like I was making magic happen. Of the dozens of gourmet ''flavors'' at my disposal , I always found myself going back to cream of mushroom. It wasn't until years later that I learned that real cream of mushroom soup actually contains mushrooms. If you're not into that sort of thing, by all means, stick with the stuff in the can. But if you, like me, are a die hard mushroom fanatic, I urge you to try the real deal.   

Cream of Mushroom Soup
Recipe after the jump

Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 lbs mushrooms cleaned and sliced (I used portobello, shitake, and button)
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 gloves garlic, minced
3 tbs butter
2 sprigs thyme, chopped
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup heavy cream
sour cream and spring onions for garnish

Preheat oven to 400. Toss sliced mushrooms with olive oil, salt, pepper, and 1 thyme sprig. Once evenly coated, spread mushrooms out on a foil lined baking sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes.
In a large stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, saute for 6-8 minutes. Add roasted mushrooms, remaining thyme, and broth, stir and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and puree. Stir in cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with sour cream and chopped spring onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...